February 21, 2020
Carnival celebrations, which will include numerous parades and street festivals, are expected to take place across the world this weekend. Due to the presence of large crowds, crime such as mugging and pickpocketing should be anticipated, despite heightened security. Travelers are encouraged to remain vigilant at all times.
- Avoid carrying large sums of cash or multiple credit cards in your wallet or purse.
- Do not accept drinks or food from strangers. Always watch your drink being made and pay close attention whenever buying food from the street vendors.
- If you notice any confusion or fights, immediately leave the location and seek a safe location until the situation normalizes.
- Never carry valuables (including your wallet and cellphone) in your back pocket and avoid carrying backpacks and purses facing backwards to prevent being pickpocketed.
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
- Avoid going places alone at night.